Sunday, March 8, 2009

Tell the World...

We had a doctor's appointment on Thursday the 5th and were told it was just an upper physical so Evan didn't come. Which is a bit unfortunate because I got to hear fido's heartbeat! The doctor said everything seemed to be going right on track - a stong 168 beats per minute helps reassure that!

So when I returned to school on Thursday for the rest of the day, I let my assistant principal know that I was ready to let the school know of my news (this was a big step for us, as we'd planned on waiting until 12 weeks and were only 10 weeks along, so I was still nervous). She announced it at our staff meeting afterschool and everyone was happy. Unfortunately, I failed to tell everyone that I didn't want the kids to know yet (one would think that this would be understood, but some just aren't that smart).

Needless to say, on Friday one of the "teacher kids" was gossiping all about it on the playground which made me have to tell my class a whole lot earlier than I was expecting. It was fun though, I told the kids that we'd be getting a new student in October, but that the new student was already with us. They spent about 30 seconds spouting out random guesses (a new computer! a class pet!) before I pointed to my belly and whispered "I'm pregnant!" Well everyone was all smiles and one of my kids, Jake, reminded me of his Mom's famous words on Meet the Teacher day. "You've got the curse," she said. To which I replied with a "Huh?" "All of Jake's teachers have gotten pregant except for his second grade teacher." So Jake was pleased with his Mom's keen intuition and one of the other students had a great response saying "Jake, you'd better be glad you didn't have Mr. Johnston this year!" Anyway, we had a great time chatting about the future baby and the kids really didn't want to stop talking about it. So I'm glad they know, but I'm not happy at all at the way they had to find out. I guess I learned a lesson for the future about prefacing news at staff meetings with a disclaimer...

No comments:

Post a Comment