Friday, August 14, 2009

Putting Nervous Energy to Good Use...

A bit late updating, but we've had a baby-crazy week! (In a good way, of course!) Now that the nursery is finished, I've been nervously thinking about everything else baby-oriented...

I met with my principal on Monday and we discussed a bit about my maternity leave and how I was going to manage pumping when I return in December. She was extremely supportive which I think has a lot to do with the fact that she has an 8 month old and can still relate to the childbirth experience very well! This obviously eased a lot of stress I had been feeling about how things would pan out with work/baby. We also had a doctor's appointment on Monday and everything looks good. Oakes' heartrate was 168bpm - quite a bit higher than last appointment but I think it had to do with the fact that I ate a Jolly Rancher right beforehand. Oops! I'm measuring at 33cm, which in general should correspond with how many weeks along you are so that looks good as well. Our next appointment is on our first day at school, August 25th.

Tuesday night was our first "Prepared Childbirth" class at the hospital. Our doula actually teaches this class so it's nice to get some extra time with her that way. The class was good - we learned some basic massage techniques (yippee!) and relaxation methods as well as receiving some info on preterm labor. We also have quite a bit of reading homework before next week's class.

The best news is that we have figured out an alternative childcare situation which makes me and Evan very happy. My cousin - who lives about a mile down the street - has offered to keep Oakes from January through June in her house. This is a huge relief as we were so reluctant to put him in daycare at such a young age. I feel a ton better knowing that he'd be almost a year old before he entered daycare and that the care he will receive with Laura & Cheryl will be an amazing two on one situation for Oakes! We've hashed out all of the details, and I really think it's a win-win situation for both of our families!

Otherwise, I've been busy putting together baby swings and bouncy seats and organizing Oakes's room. I received a ton of gently used clothes from a friend as well as a bunch of disposable diapers, now I'm just trying to find out the best way to store these as well as all of the newly put-together baby toys before Oakes arrives! I also just found out that Target carries our cloth diapers (BumGenius) online, so I registered for a bunch of those yesterday! This made me VERY happy! :)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like everything is working out swimmingly. You two are perfect examples of how you just figure out a way to work with a new baby (as far as work/baby/daycare). Everything really does work out! I'm so excited about him coming!

    ReplyDelete